Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-502S II
Extra immersion for your home theater
Klipsch Reference Premiere speakers are tailor-made for home theater. They deliver sound with authority and precision, all without a hint of distortion. If you’re rounding out your RP-series system, the 502S II surround speakers are worth considering — especially if you have a larger room.
These surround speakers look a bit different than your normal direct-firing, bookshelf-style speakers. The two 5-1/4″ woofers and 1″ tweeters on each speaker fire at a 90-degree angle from one another for wide, 180-degree sound dispersion. They give tasty depth and a sense of realism to sounds off to the side or back of your listening position, depending on where you have them placed.
What’s new with the IIs?
This is the second iteration of the RP-502S speakers, and Klipsch gave their drivers some extra attention for better sound.
Each 1″ LTS (Linear Travel Suspension) tweeter feature a new vented housing to reduce standing waves that can compromise sound quality. Each tweeter lies inside Klipsch’s hallmark Tractrix® horn. The new horns have a widened mouth for better soundstaging and directivity. The horn also sports a soft silicone face and a unique phase plug to keep the highs smooth and non-fatiguing.
Metallic drivers aren’t anything new for Klipsch speakers, but the company has made significant improvements to the motor structures behind the cones. Each woofer has a 70% larger voice coil for greater control, speed, and accuracy. The woofers also have new aluminum shorting rings that help reduce distortion and let the drivers handle some extra power.
- pair of surround speakers for home theater
- dual 1″ LTS (Linear Travel Suspension) titanium diaphragm tweeters with Tractrix® horns
- dual 5-1/4″ Cerametallic™ cone woofers
- Wide Dispersion Surround Technology (WDST) for lifelike cinematic sound even in less-than-ideal placement spots
- two sets of drivers fire at a 90-degree angle from one another for immersive, wraparound sound effects
- frequency response: 62-25,000 Hz (±3dB)
- sensitivity: 94 dB
- power handling: up to 100 watts RMS / MAX 400 WATTS
- impedance: 8 ohms
- acoustic suspension (sealed) cabinet design
- furniture-grade ebony vinyl with scratch-resistant design and satin-painted baffles
- keyhole slot for easy wall-mounting
- dimensions (measured by Crutchfield): 11-15/16″W x 13-15/16″H x 7-9/16″D
- weight: 16.7 lbs. (each)